Applicable to hospitals The enhanced pain assessment and management standards include the following new requirements:
• Identify a leader or leadership team that is responsible for pain management and safe opioid prescribing.
• Involve patients in developing their treatment plans and setting realistic expectations and measurable goals.
• Promote safe opioid use by identifying high-risk patients.
• Monitor high-risk patients.
• Facilitate clinician access to prescription drug monitoring program databases.
• Conduct performance improvement activities focusing on pain assessment and management to increase safety and quality for patients.
Recommendations: Review the revised standards and processes within hospital to address pain management and opioid utilization. Update your policy and procedures as applicable to align with requirements.
Effective: January 1, 2018
© 2016 Vizient, Inc. All rights reserved